Pages

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Eco-friendly Students Impact on Sustainability

Story & Photo by: Alyson Svec

Elizabeth Thai, 18-year-old student, understands the importance to contribute to society by being environmentally friendly.

"I recycle items such as aluminum cans, paper, and plastic bags. I don't do enough, but I do recycle some," said Thai.

As a society, Thai feels we are not contributing enough and the idea of 'going green' is a trend that will eventually become a fad.

Another student who also participates in taking part to help out the environment is Katy Hunter.

"I don't use water bottles. I take my own reusable bottle every day," said Hunter.

She helps by recycling and reusing, because she feels is it simple to do.

Low-income student, Sergio De Anda, believes in the importance of sustainability, yet does not participate fully to be environmentally friendly because of cost and time efficiency.

"I know I should help the environment but buying eco-friendly products costs more and recycling takes a lot of time," said De Anda.

Everybody is concerned about the environment, but not enough people are taking action. Although he does not recycle, taking the bus is the way he contributes to the environment by saving fuel.

Marilyn Elder, 23-year-old student from San Marcos, Texas, is also concerned about the environment and finds alternate ways to help.

"I commute on the bus and walk on campus as much as I can," said Elder.

She also recycles using the Bobcat bins and believes in 'going green.'

Danny Jenkins, 21-year-old student, understands the society's concern about the environment, but believes more can be done to help.

"I'm concerned for future generations. I know my generation won't be forced to directly deal with our current environmental problems like pollution and global warming, but some day one generation will," said Jenkins.

Although he is not a member of an environmental group, he does his best to help by recycling, picking up cigarettes others have thrown on the ground, and not littering. Jenkins feels some people are more careless about the environment though.

Student and educator, Esperanza Young, is also concerned about the future of the environment.

"Although I am not sure if I believe in global warming, it affects a lot and I don't want to see nature destroyed," said Young.

No comments:

Post a Comment